The Minnesota Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP) is a voluntary opportunity for farmers and agricultural landowners to take the lead in implementing conservation practices that protect our water.
We became MN Water Quality Certified in 2017.
We use Regenerative Ag practices on our farm and follow the 5 Soil Health Principles:
1. Soil Armor: We keep plant residue on the soil surface.
2. No Soil Disturbance: We NEVER till the soil.
3. Living Roots: We grow cover crops to always have a living plant root as long as possible.
4. Diversity: We diversify our cash crop rotations, plus grow diverse cover crop mixes.
5. Livestock Integration: We graze our livestock on as much of our crop ground as possible.
Through these practices, we are able to keep water on our land and infiltrate it into the soil. (Instead of it draining into our rivers and lakes.) This in turn allows the plant to soak up the water and grow. Then our livestock have the great honor of consuming those plants and creating a nutrient dense product for you to eat!
**Please check out our Blog for the story of how we changed our farming operation.